Friday, June 10, 2011

Too Much Water!

Normally at the time of the year, I've packed and repacked my fly fishing gear a couple of times simply to feel like I'm doing something instead of waiting for my first fishing trip in Yellowstone.

This year is a bit different. I haven't really thought about the fishing yet because of all the flooding. With the flooding in southeast Idaho, I don't even want to think about what is going on in the park.

But I had to look! So I went to Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park, and the current post is "RECORDS SMASHED ! Rivers Gone Wild take pictures for posterity"

Yeah, lots of water. And the mountains still have lots of snow in them according to the Snotel sites.

Back to those thoughts of the first trip to the park for the year. We used to go on Memorial Day, until we got tired of getting snowed on so late in the year. Then we started going during Janet's Triathlon (www.janetstriathlon.org) at Hebgen Lake during the weekend of the solstice, usually around June 20. That is a fishing trip with a triathlon on Saturday morning. But this year there is just too much water and it's too dang cold to swim in....so, now triathlon and no chance of decent fishing, so no trip to Yellowstone.

The plan right now is probably over the 4th of July and then certainly for Salmon flies on July 18th....maybe we'll hit the hatch this year if things are getting off to a late start because of a late spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment